Here are a few tips to try to aid your post workout recovery so you can bounce back for your next session!
- Viparita Karani pose gives blood circulation a gentle boost toward the upper body and head, which creates a pleasant rebalancing after you have been standing or sitting for a long time or after a hard training session.
- SLEEP! When you’re sleeping your body has the time and energy to rebuild tissue and become stronger, so a good nights sleep is important!!
- Nutrition – fueling/re- fuelling your body is a critical aspect of training recovery. I try to consume protein asap after training to promote muscle synthesis
- Post training warm down – if you’ve just done a hard session, be sure to do a warm down jog… doesn’t have to be long but at least 5 mins.
- Massage/rolling – Massage is a good way to help stimulate blood flow through muscles and helps to reduce inflammation.
- Stretching … even 5mins is better than nothing.
- Ice bath – Or actually, I prefer hot and cold, so 1 min freezing cold water, 1 min warm water repeat for ten minutes… This really helps my muscles recover, stimulating blood flow & reducing inflammation… before I get the “insta-scientists” telling me there is no scientific evidence proving it helps muscle recovery… this works for me.. and if you notice, almost every pro athlete will use this method to aid recovery in their training.
- Swimming, walking, easy bike ride – on ‘off’ days it’s always helpful to do different types of exercise to help develop other muscles & give your legs a break from the continuous impact of running.